I sometimes ask you to contact your Senators and Representatives about policies that may affect your Social Security Disability benefits. It is vitally important that you personally contact your representatives in Washington about your disability and especially the delays in your case as the delays so clearly affect your life. You will seldom get a genuine personal communication in return, but your phone call, your well written letter, or your e-mail will definitely be noted, because it represents a vote. Make an appointment with their staff—they are supposed to work for you and they should know how long these cases are taking.

Below are some background facts and guidelines that will help you in contacting your Washington representatives:

  • Each state has two Senators who represent the entire state, and one Representative for each Congressional district.
  • To make it easy for you to find out who your Senators and Representatives are, plus their e-mail addresses. Select the state below.
  • All members of the House and Senate can be reached by mail at: The Honorable (Representative’s name) U.S. House of Representatives Washington, D.C., 20515 or The Honorable (Senator’s name) U.S. Senate Washington, D.C., 20510
  • If you prefer, you can reach your U.S. Senators by phone at 202-224-3121. The number at the House of Representatives is 202-225-3121.
  • Make your communication brief and well prepared. It is best to keep it to a few paragraphs, or one minute for a phone call. Be sure to include any personal experiences that might be relevant.
  • Please do not bring up other issues.
  • Do not use profanity or insults.



Retained Before December 2016